Friday, September 18, 2015

Flashback: IMPACT CFC Singapore

Written by Nathanael Chong

In February this year, a number of our speakers attended the IMPACT Conference in Singapore. During the few days we were there, in addition to the conference, we participated in the first ever ICC tournament held in South East Asia! It had been a growing experience for all of us, and we would like to share our testimonies of the exciting time we had.

Many of the younger speakers were also inspired by watching older ones compete!


Photo by Coach Alfred

Nat:
      During the tournament, I had to think, organize, manage, and perform under pressure. Having three presentations to complete, I had to manage my time efficiently. I also had to make sure that I was giving the right speech in the right room. This experience was an exercise for me in working under pressure and keeping a clear head. This tournament was designed to stretch us, so that we would rely on God and draw our strength from Him.

Jern Ling:
      What I have learnt from the ICC Tournament was that I needed a lot of courage to give my best  in all my speeches in front of so many people, especially strangers. Of course I needed a lot of patience to edit and memorize again, again and again! However, it was worth it!
      About the Impact Conference, I learnt about speaking out my mind and projecting my voice so that my audience would be able to hear me properly. Both the tournament and conference had motivated me to give off my best in everything I do, not glorifying myself, but to give all glory to God.
      Thank you.

Jaeriel:
      When I first joined ICC, I was wondering whether my parents will sign me up. I was asked to present my speech to the entire audience. I felt very nervous at the beginning,  but once I practiced many times I felt more confident to speak even to my Cell group.  The confidence I had made others want to understand more about  ICC. This year in March,  I attended the Institute for Cultural Communicators Forensics Seminar in Singapore. I have learned how to debate, how to be a time keeper, and how to work as a team in Mock United Nations. It has been a memorable time when I got to mix with other chapters from the U.S and Singapore. The more I learn, better i become in presenting my speech. This Tuesday,  I went to Praise Emmunal orphanage to present my second interpretation. 

Jemima:
      After going through a week at the conference, I found myself more confident to express myself with dramatic facial expressions! I don't mind looking silly in front of the camera....SELFIE!!"

Ian:
      I learned that an effective communicator needs to show humility and respect on and off the platform. The student leaders were all very humble and thoughtful. 
      At the tournament, I learned how to take courage and speak up even when I was a bit nervous.

Jonique:
      Basically, this conference was like a revision to me about the 3-second rule, eye contact and some other rules. I also learned that when you debate, you have to show respect. I hope that I can participate in debate when I am older.


Photo by Sarah Gonzalez (IMPACT Instructor)

Photo by Coach Alfred

We look forward to the next CFC Conference, and the next speech tournament! Goodbye, 'till we meet again!

No comments:

Post a Comment